Yes, these are the kind of hijinks that occur at the annual CWLA reception at the AWP conference. So you will definitely want to join the party if you are in Seattle, which, by last count, about 700 of us will be.
- The reception begins at 6 p.m Friday in Director David Stevenson's suite in the Hyatt. There will be food and drink. What's the room number? We won't know until that Friday. So either ask at the desk under his name, check the program's Facebook page, or check the "Alaskans at AWP" Facebook page. As soon as we know, we'll start spreading the word.
- We will take a break from wearing cups on our faces Friday to attend the 8:30 p.m. main event featuring our own Eva Saulitis with poets Gary Snyder and Robert Hass. You should be impressed! Following the reading, Peggy Shumaker will moderate a discussion among the poets. This will take place in Ballroom E, Washington State Convention Center, Level 6. The reception will continue at the Hyatt afterward.
- Also happening that night is a reading and performance sponsored by Cirque Journal at ACT's Bullitt Cabaret, which is connected to the conference complex at 700 Union Street. That event begins at 7 p.m.
- Several Alaskans will be signing books at Booth #725 throughout the conference, including Justin Herrmann, David Stevenson, Sherry Simpson, Eva Saulitis, Christine Byl, and Sandra Kleven. The booth is co-sponsored by Cirque, CWLA, and Vered Mares's VP&D publishing house, so stop by and say hello. Here is the book-signing schedule. Also, Valerie Miner will sign her new novel on Saturday, March 1, from noon until 1 p.m. at Table A-6.
- Look here to see a listing of panels featuring CWLA folks during the conference.